A B C D E F G H I J K L M N
Q R S T U V W
If your child is absent from school please notify the front office (email@example.com) before 9:30am. An email and/or SMS is sent to parents/carers of all students where there is an unexplained absence. Unexplained absences may affect any Centrelink payments, secondary bursary payments or receipt of a Year 10 Certificate.
After and Before School Care
Before and after school care is provided at the school by the YWCA of Canberra. Forms are available at the school or you can contact the service directly on 6175 9900 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Allergy Friendly School
In conjunction with our KSS P&C, Kingsford Smith School is allergy friendly, providing protection for children who may have a severe allergic reaction to nut products. Our canteen menu aims to be nut free and parents are asked to provide nut free food for their child's lunchbox.
Assemblies are held each Wednesday for students in years preschool to year 5 on a three week cycle; preschool – year 2, years 3-5 and preschool – year 5. Assemblies in high school are held every second Thursday. Preschool – Year 10 assemblies are held regularly across the school year to acknowledge certain events including ANZAC Day and NAIDOC Week.
Assessment and Reporting
Students receive a written report at the end of each semester and parents/carers may be asked to come to the school to discuss this with the teachers. Years 6 to 10 also receive a Progress Report at the end of terms 1 and 3. Children in kindergarten participate in the Performance Indicators in Primary Schools (PIPS) assessment at the beginning and end of the year. Year 3, Year 5, Year 7 and Year 9 students participate in the National Assessment Program Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN). Reports for PIPS are sent home in terms 1 and 4 and NAPLAN reports are sent home late in term three.
To ensure student safety, the following procedures have been developed:
- On arrival at school students should make their way to the front of the canteen area (Primary) or the Spanish Steps (Middle/Senior) via the walkway from the front car park or the walkway from the bus bay. When the bell rings, kindergarten to year 5 students move to the morning gathering area between building 1 and building 2 and middle and senior school students move to homerooms. Preschool students go to straight to preschool and parents/carers must stay with children until 8.45am.
- Class rolls are marked at the beginning of each day. It is important that children are in attendance at the beginning of the school day. Middle and senior school rolls are marked every lesson, if a student is
- late they are required to sign in at the Hub (Building 4).
- If your child is late for school and in preschool to year 5, please take them to the administration building to sign in so that we can update records.
- If you need to take your child out of school during the day, please contact the administration office.
- Students will need to be signed out/in before leaving the school and on their return. If your child is absent for the day, please ring the front office: 6142 3399
- A written note or email must accompany each absence.